- On Sunday night, March 7, the top U.S. finalists in 42 Below‘s World Cup cocktail competition will throw down at the Ace Hotel in NYC. Special guest judges include Dale Degroff, Chef Sam Talbot, and founder of the Bartender’s Academy of New York, Charles Ohlbaum. Ten countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, China, Australia, Ireland, Germany, France and Italy are sending finalists to an extreme cocktail competition in New Zealand from March 23 to 28. This event is invite-only.
- In honor of International Women’s Day, the NYC chapter of LUPEC (Ladies United for the Preservation of Endangered Cocktails) will get behind the stick at Astor Center to mix up crafty cocktails featuring Compass Box Whisky. Five dollars from each $30 ticket will benefit Dress for Success, which provides professional work attire to disadvantaged women. Organized by Laren Spirer of Sweet Blog o’ Mine, expect lots of #WomenWhisky tweeting to go with your tippling–also, men are more than welcome. Monday, March 8, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Purchase tickets here.
- LUPEC NYC is also celebrating Rosie the Riveter’s 90th birthday with cocktails featuring PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur at Rye House. Founding LUPEC members Lynnette Marrero and Eryn Reece will be slinging drinks, and LeNell Smothers is expected to make an appearance via Skype. RSVP here and tweet #rosietheriveter if you’re cool like that. Tuesday, March 9, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- And not that you need an excuse, but it’s currently Martini Week in NYC through March 14, brought to you by Thrillist and Tasting Table. Specialty gin and vodka martinis are $10 at participating restaurants from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. nightly.
- Need suggestions on where to get a warming winter cocktail or meet someone new to raise your temperature? Check out some of my latest round-ups: The Best NYC Bars for Singles, NYC Bars to Warm Your Spirits, and the Seven Scotch Bars in NYC.