“New Year’s Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.”–Mark Twain
How was your 2009? Mine was half crap, half amazing. I’m ok with that–discomfort breeds growth, and let’s just say I had a lot of growth over the past decade. I’ll be ringing in New Year’s Eve 2010 with a Moroccan-inspired dinner and cocktail party at home with friends, followed by a few rounds at some of these cocktailian fêtes for a tip of the arm or two (or three):
- What’s a new decade without a pre-party? Swing in 2010 a night early with “The Salon” at The Players Club featuring guest bartenders Eryn Reece (Rye House, Louis 649) and Loungerati’s Fredo Ceraso as well as free Dewar’s cocktails to the first 125 paying guests. Entertainment includes George Gee’s Jump, Jivin’ Wailers (10-piece band); Gelber and Manning vaudeville; burlesque tap dancing by Helen Pontani; burlesque by Pandora; and DJ Rikomatic. Tickets are $25 cash at the door. 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Death & Co. is not only celebrating the New Year but also its three-year anniversary. Tickets are $125 per person (not including tax and tip) and include cocktails, champagne toast, bites, and dessert. 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. RSVP: email@example.com (Tickets are almost gone!)
- Lexington Bar & Books is hosting an exclusive New Year’s bash with a midnight champagne toast, hors d’oeuvres, and party favors for all. Plus you get to light up cigars inside, if that’s your thing. Tickets are $25 in advance; $30 at the door. RSVP: (212) 717-3902. Proper attire requested. 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Louis 649 is hosting a “No Bullsh*t” New Year’s Eve with no cover, no doorman, no tickets, no pre-fixe–just bring your smiling faces. 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- The Summit Bar is throwing two parties in one–a “Disco 2010” party from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. with DJ Kimiko, followed by a bar industry party from 3 a.m. to 8 a.m. with DJ D Sol. Head mixologist Greg Seider will be whipping up a spiced cranberry champagne drink and a New Year’s punch. No cover, drinks are pay-as-you-go, and you can bring non-industry friends. RSVP: Hamid@thesummitbar.net
Also, if you’re looking for food with your drink on New Year’s, here’s some restaurant suggestions. Cheers!