- Two artisanal gin distilleries are coming to Brooklyn: New York Distilling Co. is underway near McCarren Park and Breuckelen Distilling Co. is taking over a renovated warehouse in Sunset Park.
- West Village Scottish bar Highlands is expected to reopen tonight after a small fire.
- Hot buttered rum (recipes here, here, and here) and cold buttered rum (recipes here and here) are everywhere this holiday season.
- Harlem, a new herbal liqueur with mandarin notes, hits NYC.
- 67 Orange, a speakeasy in Harlem, celebrates its one-year anniversary.
- Darcy O’Neil, of The Art of Drink blog, has published his first eBook, “Fix the Pumps,” which researches phosphate sodas and includes 450 Pre-Prohibition soda recipes.
- On Saturday, Astor Center is hosting a holiday spirits bazaar, with tastings. Admission is $20 in advance; $25 at the door.
- Chantal Martineau of the Village Voice shares some details on the Junior Merino Liquid Lab experience. I went a couple of months ago, and it is a must for any NYC cocktailian.